html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Family odds and ends

Friday, August 17, 2007

Family odds and ends

My father used to keep an emergency kite in the back of his car, so that he would never be caught unprepared by a pleasant breezy day.

***************

My sister and I had this conversation yesterday:

Her: do you think i should raise my own crickets?

Me: Why would you ever raise crickets?

Her: frogs eat crickets. apparently at the rate of 2/day..
'pensive & pain the rear to go buy them every week. ok, not that expensive, but still. pay for bugs?

they chirp.. don't know if that's good or bad

i bet chickens would LOVE them

Me: Why does it matter what frogs eat, I wonder?

Her: did i tell you we have 4 frogs?
they're called Fire Bellies. cute little tropical frogs.
now i take care of them, which is perfect, because i was really wondering how to spend that extra 15-20 minutes each day.

Me: You did not tell me about them. Names?

Well, huh. Why did you go and get four frogs and a small aquarium of your own free will, then?

Her: Kermit is the bigger of the bright green ones
Robin is the littler green one
Jumpin' Jack Flash is the medjum sized duller green one
and Fire Tummy Name is the brownish one. he also changes his name a lot, but his name always seems to end in Name. Right now it's Surfboard Name.

[Nephews' father] brought them home last Friday. guess that's what happens when you go to the Vivarium enough times on field trips.

Me: There is only one outcome when you go to the Vivarium enough times on field trips. You got off easy. How long do they live?

You should call him ATM Machine.

Her: which one?
you mean ATM Machine Name?

Me: Yes. Him.

Guess I'll meet the frogs this weekend. Once I move in, we are looking at a household of two cats, three chickens and four frogs. And maybe crickets.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd be surprised if her subdivision allowed her to keep chickens at her house in Oakland.

Justin

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Oakland might have some city ordinance against keeping any farm animals on your property too.

Justin

12:42 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

She's not in a subdivision. City code allows up to four chickens, no roosters.

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the lack of proper punctuation on her side of the conversation on purpose? I mean, I know it is, but what is the purpose? To make her come through like she talks in a very fast southern accent, maybe?

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what I saw said they have to be kept enclosed at least 20' from any dwelling.

Justin

1:40 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

It sounds just like she talks. My sister and I always do that in spoken English; I tone it down here. It doesn't sound southern, though.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

They'll be in a coop.

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That doesn't sound like a very happy way for a chicken to live. They want to roam wild and free, not cooped up.

Justin

2:01 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

You're picking fights 'cause the afternoon is getting long. They'll be named and cuddled and loved.

2:12 PM  
Blogger susan said...

I have tried only once to cuddle a chicken. It ended rather badly.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, chickens aren't very smart, or friendly.

Though, they apparently don't like to see bunnies fighting.

Justin

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chickens are very useful for killing poisonous snakes. I think they breed potato bugs for their own amusement though.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

We should totally train the chickens to break up the nephews when they fight. I can totally imagine a chicken flapping over, shouting SOFT TOUCH and BE GENTLE and then DON'T PUSH YOUR BROTHER!

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once I move in, we are looking at a household of two cats, three chickens and four frogs.

So, which one of those are you?

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have ice skates in the trunk of my car. It's not that likely that I'll come across a frozen pond in the summer in Washington DC, but I keep them there just the same.

CC

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't help but note that if you get 5 of something, 6 of something else, etc. you'll be well on your way to a new, custom Xmas jingle of your own. How cool is _that_!

4:09 PM  
Blogger Marc said...

Fun animals we met on a recent cross-country road trip (away from California...:-(( ). Consider getting one of them!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8040218@N04/1103701159/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8040218@N04/1109732312/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8040218@N04/1109245312/

7:12 PM  
Blogger alison said...

From what I can tell from my friends who have chickens, they really are pretty friendly if they're used to plenty of handling since they are chicks.

They have beaks and claws though /shudder/

1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home