html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: He's not heavy.

Friday, August 03, 2007

He's not heavy.

Flying down to LA tonight. Tomorrow I'll hang out with my friend Teddy and his babies, and my brother. My baby brother (12, gangly and tall for his age. Huge paws. He doesn't like it when I call him Family Shorty, but I have barely a year left to rough him up before he gets taller than me, so I'm not wasting it. His dental X-rays say he's gonna be 6'5".) has decided he rides shotgun with me. I love that, but I can't imagine why. Teddy and I don't do anything kid-like. He loads up a baby or two and I grab my brother and we all go CD shopping. We talk over our CD's and my brother watches and I cannot see what part of that is fun for him. We do feed him. He's gotten a burger and fries three times now, so maybe that is some of it.

The most remarkable part is watching my brother with Teddy's babies. My brother is an incredible uncle; the perfect nephews latch on to him and do not let go for the entire visit. He wrestles and chases and feeds and hugs them. I knew that. But it wasn't until watching him with Teddy's babies that I realized he has learned the rest. He helps Teddy's daughter into her carseat, does the buckles. He watches to see if she can get down and waits until she says he can help. He won't let her cross the parking lot without holding his hand. He asks her dad before he offers her food. When did my baby brother learn mad skillz?

Teddy can't fathom it either. He thinks he would have been bored out of his mind, getting dragged along with grown-ups at that age. But I come home for the weekend and my brother asks first thing if we're going roadtripping. Yes, love. Of course we are. You and me, little brother. Wherever I go.

8 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

That might be the most beautiful picture I have ever seen.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

My baby brother is, in fact, freakishly heavy. When he's good, I tell him he must be made of gold. When he's pesty, I tell him he's nothing but lead.

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're talking to yourself, you know that, right?

Justin

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ssshhhh, don't comment between her comments :-)

6:11 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

That cracked me up, other Paul.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Noel said...

He's gonna grow up and it'll ruin everything. Best to pickle him now while he's still perfect.

12:45 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Yes, but do you know what he's going to grow up into? He's going to be very tall and good with kids, and probably an environmental activist like Megan, and very good-looking, and in fifteen years Megan will found herself deluged with younger women trying to butter her up so they can get close to him. Megan, you are harboring a future stud.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

His future as a stud would be more plausible if I can force him to use table manners. It is hardfought.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home