html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Jury duty today

Monday, August 20, 2007

Jury duty today

I was selected for jury duty my first year of college, but I kept missing it. I wanted to go, but I always had a test, or was home for a break, or thought that I couldn't miss class or something. I postponed it a bunch of times, then went home for the summer, changed my address and sorta just never did it.

When I told my Dad that I'd never gone to jury duty, he told me there was a warrant out for my arrest. He didn't think I would like prison very much, but my own actions had sealed my fate. For the next few years, whenever he traveled, he would send me postcards addressed to la petite fille sans espoir. The front would always be a picture of a dungeon or torture chamber. If he couldn't find that, he would write that it was the view from the cell of la petite fille sans espoir, or it would be if her cell had a window.

For many years, I drove exactly the speed limit, terrified of getting pulled over and arrested. Today I pay back some of my debt to society.

3 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

I am so jealous. I've never had jury duty, and I really want to, but for ten years I've been passed over. Tell us all about it when you get done!

7:49 AM  
Blogger Jens Fiederer said...

When you get to court, just come clean....

If the defendant is only in there for some minor item like murder, just blurt right out: "Why ARE you wasting your time with THIS petty criminal when la petite fille sans espoir has shirked jury duty for YEARS!

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was called to jury duty once.
That was enough. It consists of a LOT of waiting around. I was originally called as an alternate for a jury, but got off because my school break wasn't long enough to see the trial through to the end.
Being in that building for an entire day made me physically ill.
Once was enough.
Mel

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home