html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Or the book, maybe.

Friday, November 30, 2007

Or the book, maybe.

Alif Sikkiin put up a post about her rush to finish her thesis. I remember that stage. I remember it being strangely peaceful. Having that much work to do takes over everything; all other problems fall to the wayside. I remember being relieved and grateful on Friday nights, because I would have five uninterrupted hours to work on stuff that wasn't due the next day. I could prep the weekend's work! The only logistics I had to figure out was where I would work best during my next free time. Those were a pure few weeks. It was a selfish time as well, since I had nothing left over for anyone, not attention or time or energy, but I warned my friends in advance.

I don't suppose I'll have occasion to do that again (unless I take the bar or the PE), but as long as times like that only come every few years, I kinda like them.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I hated that time. A few days is okay, but when it stretches out into weeks and you start dreaming about work every night... aagh!

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually remember that as a really pure, focused time. Exhausting and unhealthy - but weirdly gratifying.

6:09 PM  
Blogger JRoth said...

My wife has fond memories of her thesis-finishing - classes all done, last summer in Grad School Town, and nothing to do but work for as long as you can remain productive, decompress, then start over.

As an architecture student I always had the allnighter-doing-models/drawings thing, but post-grad you don't get that so much; occasional presses, but rarely more than a day or two in a row. Until you're self-employed, and there's so much more on the line. I've had 2 manic work weeks already this fall, with another one in progress, and essentially no letup until 12/21. I shouldn't even be here!

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home