html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Three dimensions

Monday, December 24, 2007

Three dimensions

Back in law school, Negar and I both liked exactly the same seats, in the middle a few rows back. If we had a class together, whoever showed up second would have to settle for the second best seat. We sat next to each other a lot, although we neither especially liked or disliked the other.

*****

In the small kitchen of our vacation rental, cooking with my Mom is an experience in being constantly two or three seconds behind. I reach for the knife that she just picked up; I can't get to that thing in the fridge; she just found a use for the pot I need. So cute and little, so relentlessly boxing me out.

*****

For all that I love riding bikes with people, it can be a pain in the ass, especially if no one leads. It is hard to negotiate car doors and traffic and turning corners and which stop signs to run. For all our separate years riding bikes for transportation and our deep friendship, Chris and I aren't particularly good at it, never knowing where the other is and having to talk about our route out loud.

The best person I've ever ridden bikes with is Dave, who without any effort on my part is exactly where I would have him be at every minute. I shouldn't be surprised; he has spectacular field-sense.

4 Comments:

Blogger Erik said...

Two of those three I understand perfectly. I avoid cooking.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Pete said...

On field sense - I recently started playing indoor soccer. I've found that I'm a terrible offensive player (no ball control), but a really good defender (good field sense).

Also, I've been meaning to brag to you that I have interjected myself and given public commentary on road planning here.

Also also, I somehow left Utah and moved into a drought. It's not good.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

PROUD OF YOU! Yay, public comment!

Dude. You moved out of the west and found yourself a drought? That takes skill.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

Yeah, they're measuring days of water supply left (about 120 total), running temporary pipes to abandoned quarries, and such as that.

They're not talking about pricing water progressively.

I don't have any real knowledge beyond what's in the papers, though. The Raleigh-Durham area has a ton of municipalities, and for a host of reasons Durham usually has the least effective governance.

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home