html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: She has her work cut out for her.

Friday, December 14, 2007

She has her work cut out for her.

A woman at my gym seems to have taken a shine to me, a rather enthusiastic shine. In large part, this is because she is enthusiastic about everything; very high energy, very chatty. She joins my workouts sometimes and rips through sets of stuff with enough time to get in a serious jumprope workout while they wait for me. I loooove being lapped during circuit-type training, but I am reassured that she is maybe ten years older than me. That gives me some time to catch up.

As I admire her speed and stamina, she is taken with my strength*. Um, rather conspicuously so. She talks about it often. She points me out to people when I get there. She has a nickname for me. She mentions conversations she has with outside people about me. I look away and say that it certainly is cold out these days. She does this kindof a lot. I don't really understand the fascination. Even I am considerably less interested in my strength than she is.

Now I'm curious about who is going to yield first. I am trying to change her behavior by not rewarding it with attention, but she is something of a force. It is hard to say which is stronger, her interest or my will to deflect all complimentary attention. Maybe she was sent to me to teach me to take compliments. Hard to say whether even she has enough energy for that. It'll be close.







*I haven't yet switched over to the notion that I am strong. In my world, they just haven't given me anything really heavy yet. This isn't completely true. We have "maxed to failure". But mostly my trainer points at things and they take some work, but nothing is so heavy I can't control it at all. Can I tell you how much I LOVE paying someone else to take responsibility for my workout? I love it THIS MUCH.

5 Comments:

Blogger Erik said...

I can't believe no one has asked about your nickname yet. Is it hard core?

Also, you make me want a trainer very much.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Noel said...

If a fella talked about me like this in the gym I'd assume he was feeling some man love, which would lead to the awkward "I'm sorry I'm not gay" conversation (which has happened a few times, but not at the gym).

But yeah, I too want to know your nickname!

2:10 AM  
Blogger Sheila Tone said...

Yes, why do you think she's not making a pass at you? It seems an obvious assumption when faced with dorky, excessive compliments.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Erik said...

It sounded to me like she *did* think the girl was making a pass.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Oh no - I don't have that vibe at all.

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home