html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: The blog worked.

Monday, January 01, 2007

The blog worked.

0. Greg: Greg is as funny in person as he is on GeeseAplenty. He took me to pizza and root beer, which is ridiculous, 'cause I asked him out. I still owe him a dinner, I guess. I owe him a lot more than that, because he told me that he likes blogs that are written with intent, and that was how I knew to never write a 'State of the Meggie' post.

1. Ed: Took me out for sushi and told me how they brew the best beer in Sacramento.

2. Mike: Handsome CalTech student who took me to Afghani food and explained to me how they measure gravity. After our date, he sent me one of the sweetest emails I got all year.

3. Ogged: Ogged’s throws got accurate quickly, but hurt to catch. Nice guy, though. I’m sure he could pick up some touch if he wanted to.

4. Mitch: Mitch naturally has good hands, and didn’t realize how fast his catches and throws got good. When are you going to tell us your secret blog address?

5. Adam: Adam is a rocket scientist for real, and he told me about a rocket science convention in town. Dave and I walked over and looked at all the cool rocket things, which Adam explained to me later over drinks. That was a nice evening.

6. Jess: Showed me his cool eye patch.

7. Robby: Plays disc at lunch and if I played in his game, I would totally change shirts just to be on his team.

8. Tom: Tom is my people. We’d have been friends however we met.

9. Dave from NY: It is a good thing Dave is sweet inside, ‘cause he sees everything. When we email, he is dead-on about stuff I didn’t know I said.

10. Dave from DC: When Dave says a report or article is interesting, he’s right.

11. Telnar: Has a pretty good explanation for a lot of things.

12. Claiborne: Took me to ice cream and told me how money works and about Santa Fe.

13. UnderwearNinja: UN and I see eye to eye. He gets everything I say, including the slang I make up. We hang, but not often enough.

14. Pete: Pete has beautiful, beautiful throws. He picked up backgammon faster than anyone I’ve seen and was brave enough to dance with strangers that same night.

15. Helen: We’re from the same place! She’s fair and pretty (although I’d like to see her carry her shoulders back) and smart and interesting and we went for walks all the time and talked non-stop. She's awesome, Ilya. You shoulda been serious about her from the start.

16. Becks: So damn nice, and thoughtful and friendly.

17. Ezra: He was gracious when I was tactless, which is a really useful trait in the people around me.

18. Kriston: Was all sophisticated, smoking on the stoop.

19. Tyler: Has a tremendously kind gaze, and goes straight for the interesting parts. We didn’t get to talk enough.

20. Robin: Reminded me acutely of my friend Paul, and got the benefit of all my affection for Paul. I really liked talking to him.

21. Megan: My favorite exchange this year was with her. Within seconds of being introduced, she said “I don’t really like other Megans.” I said “Me neither”, and then we walked away with no close and didn’t try to talk again. It was fabulous and I enjoy it again every time I think of it.

22. Thelonius_Nick: His dining room table and chairs are as great as he said, and his baby is even cuter. I don’t think we talked about trains, but the conversation didn’t falter, even as we ate all that good food.

23. Ben: Ben doesn’t know what to talk about until you start giving him shit. Then he relaxes and becomes charming.

24. DaggerAleph: I kissed her cheek for hello, which is unusual for me. Turns out that it was only a few hours early, because by the time we got off BART, we were fond enough that cheek kisses were appropriate.

25. Ennis: Ennis knows everything about everything, and figures out the rest. He’s so easy to talk to that I overlook the puns.

26. Justin: Justin is as pure in person as he is in the comments.

27. Abby: We were already friends by the time we met; all that was left was to make tea so we could tell each other the important stories.

28 and 29: Nina and Kwindla: Nina and Kwindla put an enormous picnic table on a gorgeous patio. Then they filled it with food and surrounded it with fascinating people who make things and do things. It was like Sunset magazine, only smarter and funnier. Tom and I agreed that we got to get ourselves invited back.

30. Susan: I knew Tom’s lady would be amazing, but I liked her even better than I expected.

31. Marcus: Marcus is super smart and insightful, and he patronizes me in person, too. I don’t get that often, and it cracks me up. Chris and I talked about it; we agreed that it is good for me, in small doses.

32. John: Has been unreasonably nice to me, for no good reason that I can tell. I suspect he is just that kind. He’s thinking really hard about what blogging should be in Sacramento.

33 and 34. Phillip and Kara: Came to my party and talked to everyone, and were entirely charming and pleasant. He sent me Didion’s essay on the state water project and he was right; it took my breath away.

I just missed Nicole in Philadelphia and PandaX in the Bay Area, and I am disappointed about that. I want to meet lots more of you in 2007. Bay Area, let’s hang out. If you come through my town, let me know. East Coast, maybe Anand and I will do a reunion tour.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When are you going to tell us your secret blog address?
When I actually get to the point of posting something more often than twice a year. Given how much I lecture the shower head, you'd think I'd be a more prolific blogger.
Actually, Megan's example of a blog that's well written and not terribly navel-gazing is pretty inspiring.

Mitch naturally has good hands, and didn’t realize how fast his catches and throws got good.
This is the strongest endorsement I've gotten in the past year; it definitely beats the previous contenders of "a good guy", "a neat guy", and "a good speller". Thanks for the ego boost!

Also, Megan does a good clinic on basic disc technique. Recommended.

6:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your kind remarks! If you do an East Coast reunion tour and have time, we would love to have you come back to our dining room table so we can get to the train conversation. Someday I hope to return the favor as the pictures you posted lead me to believe a visit to your home would inspire some good home decorating ideas.

By the way, I knew I would be hooked on your blog when I read it for the first time and came across the post about how you consider really needing a beer to be an emergency.

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're going to be in the New York area anytime soon, I'd be happy to be added to your list.


Peter
Iron Rails & Iron Weights

10:36 AM  
Blogger Pandax said...

It's wonderful how the Internet makes the world just a little smaller and yet bigger at the same time. It's impressive to see this list of new connections.

Definitely let's try again to meet up soon!

Happy 2007!

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, spending more time in the bay area is a great idea. It's definitely more fun than Sacramento, especially if you're not going to take advantage of your proximity to Tahoe.

We could all go camping here, or to Planet Granite, or hiking, or to the beach to play on the rocks, or something.

Justin

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the goal of the blog was to get you laid. In which case...wow, thirty-five...everything they say about Sacramento girls is totally true.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Abby said...

you're so sweet! (yes, I know you don't like compliments, but what can you expect when you hand out so many?)

Happy New Years!

4:03 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Justus:
Right after you moved away, Sacramento girls got super promiscuous. It's, like, all we do now; look for lots of people to have lots of really fun sex with. Too bad you're in Colorado.

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, no. Sacramento was a myth, a fable to us, on par with Shangri-La and Modesto. All our hopes and dreams revolved around slutty Fresno chicks.

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Point of order: What I said was that I like blogs written with an audience in mind, rather than just a bunch of undirected blather. Based on your output, I'm sure a "State of Meggie" post would satisfy this curmudgeonly requirement. Let's have it.

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa -- imagine my surprise when "the other Megan" wrote a post about you. You and her are my two favorite non-big blogs. How weird is that? -K.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Not so strange, if you think of Marginal Revolution as the node. I would count hers as a big blog.

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, she turned me on to MR. -K.

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Megan. It was great meeting you, too. (Sorry for the late reply -- this got lost in my "posts I need to respond to" queue.) Amazing all the great stuff that blogging can bring about, eh?

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home