html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: It is wrong, is what it is.

Monday, December 24, 2007

It is wrong, is what it is.

Watching my baby siblings grow up just breaks my heart. They're getting so tall! My baby sister is bordering on lovely, and my baby brother is a huge and gangly brute. I look at them and think of all they've learned over the years, how they've come to understand the world. It is all reflexive to them now; never stand between me and a body of water, scan the sidewalk for a bush they could be guided into, always brace oneself if one is sitting on the edge of a couch or chair.

People call it play, but it took years and years of work to make them fully understand my absolute dominion as the oldest of four. I can't believe I've going to lose all that just because they're about to be bigger than me.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe I've going to lose all that just because they're about to be bigger than me.

I think they call this a training opportunity. When you see those 45-lb plates, just imagine your younger siblings. -K.

6:43 PM  
Blogger LizardBreath said...

Heh. I'm 5'7". My big sister is 6'2". I have never lost my self-conception as a Very Small Animal.

3:01 PM  
Blogger susan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:36 PM  
Blogger susan said...

My younger sister outgrew me when we were in high school (she a freshman and I a not-at-all-imposing senior). I remember the first time she managed to successfully pin me; it was, consequently, the last time I ever elected to wrestle her.

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A llama would help keep them all in line.

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home