html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Wearing them is a whole different story.

Friday, December 28, 2007

Wearing them is a whole different story.

I went clothing shopping today. I did this with a firm intention that my clothes no longer be boring. I went to a store boutique with interesting clothes. I could tell they were interesting because they had elements that were not purely functional. There was ornament on many of the clothings. It seemed like the necklines and sleeves were floppy or gathered or cut in ways that are not strictly necessary to keep a person warm. I looked at them very carefully. Then, dear readers, I tried some of them on and bought some!

I bought two sweaters and three shirts. It is my impression that they call attention to my collarbones and cleavage, and not to my best features, my triceps. It seems a little silly to wear clothings that call attention to my breasts; they do that all on their own. Why do designers not emphasize a girl's triceps, I ask you?

When I told a girlfriend I was going shopping, she wished me strength and courage. She also gave me advice for picking out skirts and jackets, but I love her lots so I pretend not to notice when she temporarily talks gibberish. I'll wait for her to feel better; when she is well, her advice is always sound and kind.

Now that I am a fashionista, I am prepared to offer a critique of current styles:

It seems like women's shirts are long, almost tunic-length. It is nice of them to give us all that extra fabric, but isn't that going to look dated next year? I have dresses shorter than some of the tops I tried on. The maternity-wear look still lingers, perhaps in honor of Jamie Lynn. Still, I am pleased that we'll be wearing color again next year. I like color.

9 Comments:

Blogger susan said...

It seems like women's shirts are long, almost tunic-length.

I was astounded to find that, on a recent maternity shirt shopping outing, I ended up purchasing more shirts from the "regular" section than from the maternity section. I had no idea they would be so long. Useful for me, but srsly, were I not with child I would be annoyed.

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have dresses shorter than some of the tops I tried on.

I think this calls for more pictures.

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You blog good.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Jacqueline said...

If you shop at consignment or the nicer thrift stores you can probably find the styles that fit your body shape / coloration / taste and not whatever the fashion industry decided to churn out in mass quantities this year.

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Megan! Outside of the gym a classy lady doesn't use clothing to show off her triceps, letting them hang out in the open for any man to ogle.

I'm almost offended. You aren't a -- a sl... -- that thing Jamie Lynn is?

A classy lady shows off her triceps in more private ways. You know what I mean -- the delicate art of seduction. Wrestling men to the ground, benchpressing them, opening jars for them and helping them move furniture. Are you really so needy of a man's attention that you're being tempted towards imprudence?

11:50 PM  
Blogger otto said...

This post would have benefitted from a daguerreotype of the purchased clothes, even if you were not sporting them.

3:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The maternity-wear look still lingers, perhaps in honor of Jamie Lynn.

The saga of Jamie Lynn: From little girls' clothes to maternity wear, in just a few years. How wonderful.

Peter
Iron Rails & Iron Weights

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These aren't boring, and they're super comfy!

Justin

8:07 PM  
Blogger lil miss dubin said...

I have bought many of these new-fangled tunic tops (the secret is H&M, where you can get them cheaply and then throw them out when you get over them). It pleased me at the end of last year when I was eating 33,000 calories per day to have all that extra fabric; but when I lose 10 pounds by spring, I will surely reject them in favor of things worn closer to my Hollywood-svelte body.

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home