html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Relativist and openminded.

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Relativist and openminded.

I am at a cafe in San Luis Obispo. The barista did not draw pictures in the foam of my latte. This is no longer acceptable.

In Sac, I go to the same cafe every morning. I bring my mug, which is unusually adorable; you can tell I stole it from Ali because it gets looks and compliments. I've seen the usual morning barista at different cafes in Sacramento for years. I've always nodded and smiled, but I never rated more than polite service until recently.

A few weeks back, I noticed that my barista-guy had misjudged the size of my mug. He overfilled it and it ran down the side. As he was wiping it, I said "that'll get you dq'ed at Regionals." He said "I don't compete at Regionals." I asked him why not and he said, "Because I'm the only person who can handle $1200 in two hours at the register during the competition." He told me that he now knew that my mug was a trifle small and that he would adjust his freepour accordingly.

I guess we're friends now, because ever since then all of my drinks have designs on them. I've gotten a tulip, a heart, a crescent moon, a spiral, and some abstract designs. I'm told he is working on a sunset scene and look forward to that. But I am not in my usual cafe. I am far away, in a different town. I will drink my plain latte and try not to judge. Some places have different cultures and traditions and are not obviously inferior just because they do not have pictures in their latte foam.

14 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

Maybe you just have to look harder to see the picture.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Maybe the latte pictures here are masterpieces of abstract subtlety. Maybe.

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh, maybe you can only see the picture when you have stuck long enough for you to be known to them. This is, after all, a bond that goes both ways. It is mysterious, and not the product of chance.

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe they draw pictures for the regular customers who are nice to them. And they can tell that you have a small, withered heart overflowing with wist and nostalgia and are always thinking of some other barista.

No relationship can tolerate that kind of infidelity.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

Cafe au stereograms?

3:07 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Justus, it is uncanny the way you understand my life.

7:18 PM  
Blogger billoo said...

You know why I love reading these posts? Because they're so far away from my world.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Megan, if you are ever in Massachusetts you must come and visit me, and meet all the 20-year-old baristas who understand about no whipped cream and middle brownies.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Capella, I wouldn't go to Massachusetts without visiting you.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Jacqueline said...

He wants to sex you.

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't been to a Starbucks lately, but AIUI they're switching over to automated, push-one-button machines that pretty much remove all elements of skill from the barista's job.

Peter
Iron Rails & Iron Weights

9:23 AM  
Blogger matt said...

Oh, but skilled baristas are the life of a good coffee shop.

Also, cheating on your barista is just bad karma. Everyone knows that.

10:40 AM  
Blogger matt said...

Oh, but skilled baristas are the life of a good coffee shop.

Also, cheating on your barista is just bad karma. Everyone knows that.

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh we just missed each other, I was in SLO the morning of the 27th.

Perhaps you chose the wrong coffee shop? or rather the wrong (unartistic) coffee shop chose you?

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home