html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: And he has hops.

Friday, June 09, 2006

And he has hops.

My team boyfriend? Oh, he’s just a guy on my former team. It’s not like I had a crush on him forever. I mean, I noticed that he’s an electrical engineer, because that’s the sort of thing I notice about a person. If I were the type to pine hopelessly for someone, he might be the type I would pine for, since he really is a genuinely good man. And if maybe we used to carpool to tournaments together and flirt for hours, and stay at the same hotels, and hang out on the sidelines together, well, it was a close-knit team. It was totally coincidence that he was on every single one of my league teams for a couple years. Pure chance!



Nothing ever happened with him (‘cause we’re just friends!), and once he got himself such a great girlfriend I didn’t want to be thinking about our platonic friendship so much. So I totally broke up with him. I didn’t make sure he would be on my league team and I barely cheer for him at games anymore and I don’t go to the bar after our games just because he’ll be there. I would worry about his tender broken heart, except that he probably hasn’t noticed. He never noticed before, back when we were perfect for each other.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's not very attractive, I'd think you could do better than that. And, it looks like he's losing his hair.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Anyone with hops is beautiful. He's smart, and really nice and thoughtful, and fixes things, and has great spirit on the field, and is modest and funny. He might be the most graceful man I have ever seen. He is way the fuck out of my league. Which doesn't matter anyway, because I am totally over him.

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm confused -- why didn't you just ask him out?

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Question similar to Tony's:

If he's "way the fuck out of [your] league", can we have some examples of people who are the fuck in your league?

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really? Hops? You find that attractive? I'm 5'11" and I could dunk when I was 16. I peaked at a 36" vertical, that's with no steps, flat off the floor. What do I win?

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forget the cardinal rule when dealing with crazy cat ladies, tony, don't try to reason with them.

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous, I guess I'm just simple, and I am an ignoramous in the ways of how to attract a date, but I never ever understood the reluctance a lot of women of my generation (say 26-35) have towards asking out a guy they really really dig, as Megan obviously dug (and maybe still digs) this guy. I'm still trying to understand this reluctance since it inevitably leads to regret and what-ifs: hence my question to Megan. Most of my friends are female, and most of them would never consider asking a man out. To me that's crazy talk. There are already enough missed opportunities in life. Why add more? I know that the visceral calculus doesn't always add up for both sides (believe me, I know this well) and so one party isn't interested, but it seems to me you gotta find this out for sure because it's sometimes hard to tell when someone is interested. For me it is at least.

Megan, I seriously doubt if he is out of your league.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I did ask him to a date-like thing, and when we played Ultimate we hung out more together than we did with other people. And he never made an affirmative move. In years. So I have to conclude that he didn't want to.

He is in his girlfriend's league now.

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah. His loss, Megan. His loss.

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But, he's not even attractive! I guess there aren't many EEs who can jump. I'm an EE, and I can jump, but there aren't many like me. Engineers are boring. They're lazy, useless people. Most would prefer sitting at home and watching tv to going outside and actually doing something.

You should find yourself a nice forest ranger. Or maybe a chemist, I know lots of fun chemists. Or, move to the bay area where the people are more fun and active. Sacramento isn't a fun place to begin with.

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guys are pretty dense, maybe he was interested and didn't know how to show as much.

As for the league thing, "Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours.” -Richard Bach

3:25 PM  
Blogger Cladeedah said...

I've seen him in person, and I think he's cute. He has a nice body - especially for an engineer. ;-)

In Megan's defense, I believe she made the option very clear to him when she invited him to sleep in her bed after he was too drunk to drive home from a party at her house. He's a dumbass for choosing to sleep on the couch.

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you really want to date a man with hops ... date a brewer!

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home