html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> From the archives: Then we go through all the fly positions.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Then we go through all the fly positions.

I got some good answers to the personal ad I didn't bother telling you guys about. I took a sweet tone this time, on the theory that you get back what you put out. I was a little afraid the ad wouldn't be a good filter, but it did real well. Not too many answers, good ones among those.

I got a couple straight up compliments. Not guys who want to date, just people sending good wishes and saying they liked what I wrote. Those are nice. I've started doing that for ads that wouldn't be a good match for me but were well done. I got one from a guy saying that he wasn't applying for the vacancy, but wanted to let me know that an imaginary version of him would take an imaginary version of me out to dinner sometime this week. I wrote back to tell him that I'm sure we had a great imaginary time, and also to tell him about the blog. I figured that if he was imaginary, he belonged here. He wrote me back to tell me that now he remembers me from the hippie co-op. Oh.

Even reading the anonymous text-only personal ads in Craigslist, I've started to recognize people. I catch some of Jason's, 'cause he's mostly fucking around, being obscene and funny. I sometimes recognize Matt, because his ads are unusually sweet and direct. Also, he mentions being tall. There are people who recognize me. If I post in Sacramento, Ajay will nearly always send a 'Hi, Megan'. Worse, though, is the people who don't recognize me. Guys that I've already met for coffee will answer ad after ad, composing long emails and sending them to me, hopefully . I'm sorry, dude. I met you and it didn't go anywhere. After a couple of those, I start feeling like answering them ('Yeah, hi. It's just me. No, not this time either.') is worse than not-answering. I'm probably contributing to the conception that women are too snobby to answer personal ads, but we're all victims of the system here.

5 Comments:

Blogger Noel said...

You're currently the top Google hit for "fly positions". I assume you refer to sky-diving. I always learn something from this blog, which is why I like it so much.

Your Google juice is strong.

1:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're currently the top Google hit for "fly positions". I assume you refer to sky-diving.

Now if I came across a reference to "fly positions" in a personals ad, I would think that it meant something ... different.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Noel said...

Yeah, what I meant was the karma sutra of skydiving.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Try googling that and 'lyrics'. Then look back two lines, and you'll follow my train of thought.

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Impressively, this page is now the top google hit for "fly positions" and lyrics.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home